Years ago a friend asked me “Why do you want to be a photographer?”, I was confused by this question, trying to understand why I would need to find an excuse for what I am doing.
Recently I called him and told him on the phone:
“Hey bro, now I know why. Because I love learning about life. Photography is not something I see merely as a business, for me photography is life itself and learning about it-nothing less nothing more.”
Matic Zorman is a freelance photojournalist, born in 1986 in Slovenia.
His professional career in photojournalism began in 2008, by contributing images of daily news to a variety of Slovenian newspapers and magazines on a daily basis.
Since documenting aftermath of Palestinian-Israeli conflict in Gaza Strip for the first time in 2010, he has focused on unveiling and highlighting the humanitarian issues that remain hidden in the conflict zones.
With that in mind, he was covering the uprisings during the Arab spring in Tahrir square in Cairo, Egypt during 2011-2012 and a refugee influx at the Lebanese – Syrian border in 2013.
Until 2016, he visited Gaza Strip six times to continue his long term documentary projects and to report from there during the war in 2012 and in the aftermath of the war in 2014.
Matic successfully completed RISC (Reporters Instructed in Saving Colleagues) medical battlefield training in Kosovo in 2014, and attended NOOR-Nikon Masterclass in Belgrade in 2015.
Currently he is active in the Balkan region, documenting a variety of issues the region is facing.
Matic’s work was awarded by the World Press Photo in People, Single images category for his work covering the migration on the Balkan route in 2016.
Among clients who assigned him or published his work are The Washington Post, The Independent, Der Spiegel, National Geographic Slovenia and other publications.
Selected Awards & Recognitions:
• World Press Photo 2016: 1st place, people, singles – Waiting to Register
• PDN Storytellers 2016 : First place winner – Give me Liberty or give me Death
• Balkan Photo Festival 2016 : Portrait of the year – Give me Liberty or give me Death
• Photo Days Rovinj 2016: Grand Prix award, 1st place documentary, 2nd place landscapes
• Slovene Association of Journalists: 2015 “Media Watchdog” award for exceptional achievements in press photography
• Slovenia Press Photo 2015: Winning Photo of the Year
• Slovenia Press Photo 2015: News Story of the Year
• The Andrei Stenin International Press Photo Award 2015: Top Stories, 3rd prize
• Magnum 30 under 30 Award 2015: Shortlist
• Reportage by Getty Images 2013: Emerging Talent Award
• Slovenia Press Photo 2012: Winning Reportage of the Year
• Slovenia Press Photo 2012: News Story of the Year
• Institute and Academy of Multimedia, IAM, Ljubljana, Slovenia: Multimedia Program, 2008